The International Society for Artificial Life (ISAL) is pleased to announce that nominations are open for the 2020 ISAL Awards. Please take a few minutes to nominate the researchers you admire so that they can be formally recognised for their achievements. The award categories are as follows:
- The Lifetime Achievement Award will recognize an individual who has made profound contributions to the field of Artificial Life, influencing the work of many others and helping to shape the state of the art. Up to one awardee will be selected.
- The Distinguished Early-Career Investigator Award will recognize an individual who is early in their career (typically pre-tenure), but has already made important contributions to the field of Artificial Life. Up to one awardee will be selected.
- The Exceptional Service Award will recognize an ISAL member who has provided truly exceptional service to the field of Artificial Life by, for example, helping to organize the Artificial Life community, developing valuable resources, or facilitating administration of ISAL. Up to one awardee will be selected.
- The award for Outstanding Publication of 2019 will go to the authors of a publication in any (peer reviewed) venue during the previous calendar year (2019) that shows significant potential to advance the field of Artificial Life. Up to one publication will be selected.
- The award for Outstanding Publication of the Decade, 2005-2015 will go to the authors of an influential paper published in any venue from five to fifteen years ago (2005 through 2015) that has had a profound impact on the field of Artificial Life, as evidenced by follow-up research, citations, or attention brought to the field. Up to one publication will be selected.
- The Education & Outreach Award will go to the authors of an outstanding project that either teaches about Artificial Life or uses Artificial Life techniques to teach about another topic, or inspires users to learn more on their own. Up to one project will be selected.
- The Outstanding Student Publication Award will go to a student or postdoc for a paper or other publication that they published while a student; any researcher who is still a student or within approximately three years of graduation is eligible. This award will be judged by a committee organized by the ISAL student group, ERA (Emerging Researchers In ALife).
To nominate candidates for any of these awards (including self-nominations) please go to: https://forms.gle/QSNH5dPE5wpK6JA5A
You may wish to consult our list of previous winners when making your nominations.
Nominations are encouraged in any area of Artificial Life (including, but not limited to agent-based models, complex systems, evolutionary robotics, synthetic biology, biologically inspired art, or other aspects of life as it could be.)
Award recipients will be chosen by an independent committee of members of the Society, and will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at ALIFE 2020 in Montréal, Canada, 13-18 July 2020. Nominees are expected to be ISAL members upon accepting the nomination. Award winners will be privately notified ahead of time and are strongly encouraged to attend the conference.
Please submit all nominations by Friday, 1 May 2020 to guarantee full consideration. Feel free to contact ISAL with questions.